Old Fashioned Strawberry Pretzel Tart
FOR THE PRETZEL CRUST
2 c. crushed pretzels
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
3/4 c. (1 1/2 stick) melted butter
1/4 c. granulated sugar
FOR THE CHEESECAKE LAYER
1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 C. heavy whipping cream
FOR THE STRAWBERRY TOPPING
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. water
1 3 oz package of strawberry gelatin
1 pt. fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, stir together pretzels, chopped walnuts, butter and sugar until combined. Transfer to a 10” tart pan or a shallow pie pan and press firmly into pan. Bake 8 minutes and let cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add heavy whipping cream and beat until medium peaks form.
- Spread over cooled pretzel crust.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water and cornstarch and bring to a boil. Boil 2 – 3 minutes, whisking constantly until thickened. Add strawberry gelatin and whisk until combined. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Arrange strawberries in a single layer all over the cream cheese layer, then pour gelatin mixture over the top of the berries. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
** This recipe reminds me of summers spent in Minnesota with my Grandma Swenson and the pot luck dinners we had at Aunt Ida’s farm. **