Calm in the Storm
“ You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you”
I boarded an airplane heading into Florida as hurricane Dorian was set to possibly collide with the state. The man helping me with my luggage asked where I was going and when I responded Orlando he gave me an odd smile and said “ Your brave.” I was joined by three of our MOPS staff and together we set off for MOMcon!
For those of you who don’t know what MOMcon is … it is an incredible conference for moms and MOPS leaders and it is like nothing else you have ever experienced. Nearly 3,000 women gather to be inspired by incredible speakers, worship, laugh, be entertained and hang out with other moms from around the world. Needless to say, a lot was riding on us being able to do this despite the weather and travel advisory.
By the evening of the first day , more staff joined us. We made a quick visit to the local Walmart for supplies and then we waited. The weather updates looked grim and the airport closed. We began to meet and to look at our options. We prayed and waited and then prayed and waited some more. My emotions were up and down and I wavered at times in what I thought was the best decision. I felt a huge burden knowing so many moms were heading our way and I wanted to make sure they were safe. Our decision making team was prayerful and thoughtful and ultimately the decision was made to go. Honestly we weren’t sure how many people were going to make it.
I am happy to say MOMcon was a huge success and over 92% of those registered were able to make it. The atmosphere was electric and everyone was thankful and grace filled.
I am home and processing what a crazy week I just spent in Florida. My reflections…
- You can’t calm the storm so stop trying. How often do I try and control circumstances that are far beyond my control.
- I chose Proverbs 3:5,6 for my life verse for a reason. “ Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path” So often I want to lean on my own understanding.
- A shared experience during a stressful time is really an amazing bonding experience for all involved – ask anyone who just attended this MOMcon.
- The women involved in the MOPS organization are amazing – yes, I knew this, but spending time again with our leaders and meeting so many moms from around the world was truly such a gift and inspiration for the work we do everyday at the office.
- God is doing amazing things around the globe through the MOPS ministry and I am beyond grateful to be a part of it.
I would love to hear what you learned during this MOMcon as well and how you can apply it in your life moving forward.
We will move forward and continue with our schedules and planning has already begun for next year in Denver. I just needed to push pause and thank God and all of YOU for showing up and making this one of the most amazing MOMcon experiences I have ever been a part of.
Keep doing great things in the world – share the love of Jesus and help moms thrive!!